Annual Conference Sessions
FoodMASTER: Reach to Teach
8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
- Sylvia Escott-Stump, MA, RDN, LDN, FAND
- Academic success in math and science promotes success throughout life. FoodMASTER: Reach to Teach provides participants with an overview of STEM Education and introduces the FoodMASTER Initiative: the “Food, Math And Science Teaching Enhancement Resource” program. These curricular tools use food to teach mathematics and science, with evidence-based results. The goal is to enhance teacher capacity, guide children and teens in science aptitude, and increase the pipeline of minority and women students entering STEM professions. There is no better “science champion” than a dietitian-nutritionist!
- Identify and promote food concepts for teaching science to children and teens
- Promote strong science educator influence to increase the pipeline of students entering STEM professions, especially minorities and women
- Describe 3 key benefits of the FoodMASTER curriculum related to science education
CEU Level 2
Bulking Season: Evaluation of Protein Requirement in Critically Ill Patients
9:15 AM – 10:15 AM
- Christopher Buckley, PharmD, MS, BCCCP
• ASPEN Guidelines for COVID-19 Critical Illness Background
• Gastrointestinal manifestations
• Prone positioning
• Neuromuscular blocking agents
• Calorie requirements
• Protein requirements
- Recall initial nutrition recommendations for critically ill COVID-19 patients
- Discuss strategies to overcome barriers to provision of enteral nutrition in the prone patient and neuromuscular blockade
- Define and evaluate appropriate calorie and protein goals in critically patients with COVID-19
CEU Level 1
Finding your Tribe as an Entrepreneur: Benefits of Masterminds
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Ingrid Knight, RDN, LD
Do you feel uninspired in your career? Look to mastermind groups to support you in:
● Career choices
● Private practice
● Organizational skills
● Counseling skills
● And more!
Will discuss the many benefits of being in a mastermind group, including her experiences
with a private practice group, facilitating other mastermind groups, and leading Dietitians
in all areas of life.
- How to find or form a mastermind group.
- Learn what you can gain from participating in a mastermind group.
- Describe the value, both personal and professional, to being a part of a mastermind group
CEU Level 2
Workplace Wellness Center RDN
1:00 PM – 1:30 PM
- Katherine Cabrera, MS, RDN, LDN
- Understand the dynamics and concepts of a workplace wellness center.
- Explain the nutrition care services along with the RDN’s responsibilities in workplace wellness setting.
- Define the unique qualification for a Workplace Wellness RDN.
CEU Level 2
Exploring Sustainability within Healthy and Sustainable Food Systems
1:45 PM – 2:45 PM
- Marianne Smith Edge, MS, RDN, LD, FAND
This presentation will explore the complexity of what a healthy and sustainable food system means when evaluating the contributions of food groups especially protein along with the environmental realities and dietary guidance. Registered dietitian nutritionists will be provided the background from which to make informed decisions and provide guidance about sustainable food systems.
- Develop a greater understanding of the multidimensional nature of sustainability related to food and agriculture including identification of trade-offs, challenges, and opportunities
- Explore the role of ruminants and animal-source food products in dietary patterns, livelihoods, and environmental systems from a U.S. perspective
- Describe evidence-based, actionable steps for dietitians to expand personal and collective efforts related to sustainable food systems
CEU Level 2
This session is possible due to the generous support of Tennessee Beef Council.