University of Tennessee Knoxville is hiring for an Assistant Professor, Nutrition.
This is a 12-month, tenure-track position and will be 100% Extension.
Salary will be commensurate with training and experience. Benefits include group hospitalization and life insurance; vision and dental insurance; State Employees Retirement; workers’ compensation; education, generous sick and annual leave; numerous University of Tennessee and state benefit programs, including liberal time off for holidays and longevity pay after three years of service; reimbursement provided for official travel; no State income tax.
The position of Assistant Professor, Nutrition, is responsible to the Extension Assistant Dean and Department Head of Family & Consumer Sciences (FCS). This position will work to develop and teach effective, research-based nutrition programs across the state, which enhance the lives of Tennesseans. This position will also work collaboratively with cross-functional teams within and outside of the FCS department and the university to contribute to the mission of the FCS department, UT Extension, and the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture (UTIA).
- Plan, develop and implement research-based adult and youth Extension programs in nutrition to promote safe food handling practices, healthful dietary habits, and to improve health and nutritional status among Tennesseans, including, but not limited to, Extension programs for diet-related disease prevention and management, food safety, and food preservation.
- Provide interpretation and application of current research, emerging issues, and legislation related to the above topics and utilize a collaborative team approach to guide the direction of Extension programming to address needs in Tennessee.
- Develop networks and coalitions with state, regional and national groups serving the same clientele and keep the program leadership team and county faculty aware of the networks and their resources.
- Evaluate the need, develop and revise electronic and print media, curricula, lesson plans, brochures, fact sheets and other educational materials for dissemination by county staff to targeted clientele.
- Evaluate the effectiveness and impact of state-wide programs in the above program areas; report to the appropriate state and national agencies and to program stakeholders.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to county Extension agents/educators in the area of nutrition and food safety by phone, email, on-line training and in-service training. Technical guidance includes interpreting current research findings, needs assessments, educational strategies, evaluation methods, data collection, data interpretation, coalition building, and staff development and mentoring.
- Collaborate with Extension professionals and subject matter experts, including those within the University of Tennessee System, state agencies, and community organizations.
- Develop and maintain expertise in nutrition by publishing peer-reviewed journal articles/Extension publications, attending and presenting at professional meetings and belonging to relevant professional organizations.
- Seek internal and external resources to support and enhance programs.
- Provide service and leadership to activities within the department, the university and professional organizations as appropriate.
- Provide leadership for a program of activities which meets the needs of all eligible clientele regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religion or veteran status.
- Earned doctorate or ABD in Human Nutrition and Dietetics, including other degrees such as, but not limited to, Food Science, Public Health, Community Health, and Family & Consumer Sciences
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with diverse groups and on interdisciplinary teams
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement curricula appropriate for youth and adult audiences
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a supportive team member both in a leadership and membership role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of scholarship through scientific presentations and publications
- Evidence of good teaching skills with professionals and clientele
- Evidence of grant experience
- Training or experience in needs assessment and evaluation
- Strongly Preferred: Registered Dietitian (RD, RDN)
- Extension experience
- Food safety and/or food preservation experience
- Volunteer development experience
Application Instructions: http://apply.interfolio.com/120722